Hungry Fish Café
Chef Sarah Fiss
Vegan Carrot Ginger Puree
This is a very simple vegan recipe, perfect for an occasion where you might need to accommodate vegan guests, but still impress those with more traditional eating habits. The ingredients are typically on hand in any kitchen (maybe not the ginger) and it can be whipped up in a pinch.
The simple ingredients make this soup something anyone can enjoy and also has other uses as a marinade or in other recipes, like meatloaf or as a glaze for pork and chicken dishes.
About 3 pounds of fresh carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
8 cups vegetable broth
½ cup of finely grated fresh ginger
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
- Add vegetable stock to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Peel and chop the carrots while waiting for stock to boil and add to pot.
- Cook at a rolling boil until carrots are soft, then use an emulsifier to blend until smooth.
- Add the ½ cup of freshly grated ginger and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, salt and pepper and simmer an additional 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!