Simply put, most beer is either an ale or a lager. Here’s how to tell the two apart.
• Yeast gathers toward the top of the tank during fermentation
• Ages for just a few weeks around 40–55 degrees Fahrenheit
• Aromatic and sometimes fruity
• India Pale Ale
• Pale Ale
• Wheat Beer
• Yeast gathers toward the bottom of the tank during fermentation
• Ages for months around 32–45 degrees Fahrenheit
• Crisp, clean and refreshing
Not every beer fits nicely into these two categories; many craft brews are ale/lager mixes, or “hybrids,” and can have wildly different properties.
• Session Beer
• Pumpkin Spice Beer
• Coffee Beer