This recipe comes courtesy of Al-Baraki’s Chef Paul Chedrawee.
1/2 cup fava beans
2 cups chickpeas
½ clove garlic, peeled
2 medium size onion, cut in fourths
1 cup of cut parsley
½ cup fresh cut cilantro
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
Tahini Sauce Ingredients
¼ cup tahini
¼ cup water
¼ cup lemon juice
½ teaspoon garlic
½ teaspoon salt
Directions for falafel:
• Rinse chick peas and fava beans and soak overnight in 8 cups of water.
• Next day, drain and grind in the meat grinder (you can always use the food processor. The only difference is that you will need to add ¼ cup of water at this point).
• Add onion, garlic, parsley and cilantro to the mix and pass it a second time through the meat grinder.
• Add ¼ cup of water (if you didn’t add in the food processor).
• Add all the rest of the spices and mix by hand.
• Let it stand for about an hour.
• Heat your oil, use the falafel spoon to scoop patties, or use a tablespoon; which you need to wet with water between patties. Fry to golden. (If you prefer to bake the falafel, use a non-stick tray well-covered with oil to prevent patties from sticking.)
Directions for Tahini sauce:
• Add all the ingredients in the order listed, mixing well every time.
• Serve falafel warm with tahini sauce and fresh vegetables.
For any questions please join our facebook page, Al-baraki Lebanese and Mediterranean cuisine, and post your question. You can also check our next cooking class on www.al-baraki.com for more hands-on instructions. Al-Baraki products can be found at Honest Weight Food Co-op and Niskayuna Food Co-op.
Alif Sahtain – Bon appétit!