Whether you are inviting carolers in to warm up or friends are helping to trim the tree, a delicious and jubilant libation is in order. When entertaining, make sure to offer a fortified beverage as well as something without spirits to make sure everyone’s included in the fun – today’s mocktails are as beautiful and tasty as their boozy counterparts. Try one, two or all of these fun concoctions to keep the spirit of the season alive from now until the final “salute!” to 2019!
1 ounce pomegranate juice
1 ounce cranberry juice
Sugared rosemary sprig (see note)
Edible glitter sugar rimmer
(we used Glass Glitz! Available at corkpops.com)
• Rim a champagne flute with edible glitter and sugar using simple syrup or lime juice.
• Add juices to prepared flute and top with Prosecco.
• Garnish with sugared rosemary sprig and cranberries.
For sugared rosemary sprigs, wet cleaned sprigs with water. Blot briefly on a clean tea towel and then roll in granulated sugar. Tap excess off lightly and place on a rack to dry completely for at least one hour. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up two days.
Egg Nog Godmother
1 ½ ounces Amaretto
1 ½ ounces vodka
1 ½ ounces egg nog
• Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake briefly to combine and strain into a martini glass.
• Garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Maple Old Fashioned
Courtesy of The Standard Restaurant
3 ounces Knob Creek smoked maple bourbon
2 dashes cinnamon bitters
Orange peel twist
• Add ingredients to a shaker with ice. Stir to combine and strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice.
• Garnish with a Luxardo cherry and an orange peel twist.
Candy Cane Mocktail
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 ounces vanilla flavored seltzer
1 drop peppermint oil
Crushed candy canes
• Rim a martini glass with candy using simple syrup.
• Stir the remaining ingredients together in a shaker filled with ice and strain into prepared glass.
White Christmas Mocktail
½ cup heavy cream
6 ounces vanilla flavored seltzer
2 tablespoons mulled spice syrup (see note)
• Rim a Collins glass with simple syrup and flaked coconut.
• Stir heavy cream, seltzer, and syrup together in a shaker filled with ice and strain into prepared glass.
• Sprinkle with nutmeg and garnish with rock candy.
For mulled spice syrup, combine 1 cup water, 1 cup granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons mulling spices in a small heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let steep until cool. Strain into a mason jar. Will keep for 1 – 2 weeks.
Cranberry Christmas Mocktail
1 tablespoon cranberry syrup (see note)
Vanilla flavored seltzer
Sugared rosemary sprig (see note, Holiday Sparkler)
• Add cranberry syrup to a fun stemmed glass (wine glass or other, you may need to adjust amount of syrup to taste depending on size of glass) and top with seltzer.
• Garnish with cranberries and sugared rosemary sprig.
For cranberry syrup, combine 2 ¼ cups fresh cranberries, 1 cup water, and 1 cup granulated sugar in a small heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Lower heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Let cool and strain into a mason jar. Will keep for 1 – 2 weeks.
Special thanks to The Standard Restaurant and Lounge