Yields eight servings
1 lb pepitas, toasted
1 lb plum tomatoes, quartered and seeded
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 habanero peppers, stemmed and seeded
¼ cup canola oil, plus 2 tbsp for sautée
½ cup naranja agria or bitter orange
(may be substituted with 2 parts lime juice, 1 part orange juice, 1 part grapefruit juice)
½ cup ice water
1 tsp Kosher salt
• Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan over medium heat. Add tomatoes, habanero peppers and garlic. Sautée until color develops—approximately 5 minutes.
• Combine toasted pepitas and salt in a food processer and pulse until finely ground.
• Add sautéed vegetables and bitter orange to processor with pepitas and pulse together until thoroughly combined.
• Continue to purée, slowly drizzling the oil into the mixture.
• If mixture is too thick, add 1 tbsp of ice water at a time until reaching the desired consistency.
• Continue to purée until a consistent, silky texture is achieved.
• Taste and adjust seasoning, as needed.
• Garnish with a drizzle of oil, diced onion and toasted pepitas.
• Serve with chips.